We Don’t Know Nothing ’Bout Birthin’ No Babies!

by Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer

My partner and I (both male) would like to start a family together. Where do we start?

Signed, AG, Los Angeles

You will ultimately need an egg donor and a surrogate. An egg donor is a woman who provides the egg(s) that will be fertilized to become your future child or children. A surrogate is a woman who will be impregnated with your child, carry the pregnancy, and deliver the baby.

You will need to decide if you would like to use a known or an anonymous egg donor, a traditional or a gestational surrogate, and whose sperm you will use, either or both of you presumably. Then it is best to set up a consultation with a fertility clinic, which is well versed and truly welcoming of same-sex pregnancies, to explore the intricacies of the cycles above.

The different options I mentioned significantly differ in complexity and cost, and different ones will be “right” for different individuals or couples, so it is well-worth exploring carefully.

Information published on The Rainbow Babies website is not a substitute for proper medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or care. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Disclaimer: The Rainbow Babies provides sample contracts and legal/social health articles for informational purposes only—please do not consider it as legally-binding advice of any kind.